|The birthday boy|
|you can see the dried cherries and prunes in it!|
- 1/2 cup prunes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Dr. Pepper
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 4 cups Dr. Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks) softened
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 cups powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 8-inch round cake pans.
- Add prunes and dried cherries to medium saucepan. Pour in 1 cup of Dr. Pepper, then bring it to a slow boil over medium heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then remove it from the heat and set it aside to cool, about 20 minutes.
- Boil 1/2 cup water. In a microwave safe dish, melt butter. Add cocoa to melted butter then add in boiling water. Whisk together until smooth, set aside.
- In small bowl add buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- In mixer fitted with paddle attachment add flour, sugar, nutmeg, ginger, and all spice.
- With mixer on low, add in cocoa mixture.
- Pour in buttermilk mixture.
- Slowly pour in Dr. Pepper mixture and blend until fully combined.
- This batter was about 5 cups, so I evenly divided it into two 8-inch pans. (2 1/2 cups per pan)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Boil 4 cups of Dr. Pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat until it has reduced to about 1/2 cup. 20 to 25 minutes. (I actually had my temp on medium high and reduced the soda for about 1 hour) Set aside to cool completely.
- Add butter to mixer and then add in ginger, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix on medium high speed for 3-5 minutes, scraping bowl as needed.
- With mixer on low, add in Dr. Pepper reduction and blend completely. Spread over cooled cake.
this is a Pioneer Woman recipe I pinned on Pinterest
In other news look what I got at the library today! Her newest book! Lots of holds on it so I have to read fast.
I’m off to read and eat a piece a cake:)